Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I Am a Designer

When I was in the 6th grade I decided that I wanted to be a fashion designer. I love everything about clothing and I love them beyond the shopping aspect. I love the process in which clothes are created. Take Vera Wang's Diana gown from her 2010 spring collection. It all started off as a simple thought which turned into a simple sketch which then turned into a beautiful complex couture wedding which will then be put on a lovely blushing bride to make her day all the more special. So to start off my "career" I designed and created my senior prom dress. My pet peeve is a cliche prom dress. You know what I'm talking about? The long silk halter with rhinestones just under the bust and all along the straps. They usually come in a solid color. Girls stay as far away from these dresses as possible, because I can almost guarantee you that your boyfriends ex girlfriend will show up wearing the same dress.
So in creating my own prom dress I went for a softer look. I went for a long flowy dress with a sweetheart top. I chose light soft shades of pink and gold. I started about three months before prom and it took me all the way to the day before prom to get it finished. I'm a procrastinator....shhh don't tell anyone ;)
I have never been so proud of myself because this is really what I want to do with my life and I had finally accomplished the task of making a one of a kind custom look for myself, I now know that I can design and I can do it well. I wore my dress with a multilayered pearl necklace and heels I purchased at an old vintage shop. I felt very 40's which is one of my favorite eras of time for fashion. Overall I had great senior prom and I got by without anyone wearing the same dress as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment