Saturday, January 29, 2011

Inspiration


{day sixteen}
A picture of someone who inspires you.

Fashion Designer Doo.Ri. Believe it or not when I was a freshmen in high school my mother and my aunt Caren took me to New York City for my birthday and I had the pleasure of meeting Doo.Ri. I instantly fell in love with her all white chic studio. It was amazing I was sitting in a room with Doo.Ri and racks of clothing straight off the runway. We stayed for about an hour and a half or so discussing the industry and I also got to show her some of my sketches. But anyways what I wanted to say is that her clothes are beautiful and whats even more
beautiful is her story.

The other night I was browsing around on Netflix and I came across a documentary called Seamless. It follows the scene of three finalists in a Vogue-sponsored contest. Its a contest to help struggling designers. Throughout the competition all designers are featured in Vogue and the winner receives $200,000. At this time Doo.Ri was creating fashion lines in the basement of a dry cleaning business that her parents owned. ALL BY HERSELF yes, all by herself which is tremendous. Anyways long story short Doo.Ri did not end up winning the award, the design duo Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough did (I also have to say I really love them as well). But she didn't give up and she ended up winning the award in 2006. When I think about where she started and where she is now she truly inspires me because in an industry that is dog eat dog she never ever gave up. Award or no award she would have made it just as far as she is now.

{here are some of her pieces}

and just look at these tights! come on people!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment